Fabius Julius Haywood
Haywood Hall
History

E. Burke Haywood

The Haywood 
family tree!
It is 1800, and you are invited to a dinner at the home of the distinguished Treasurer of the State of North Carolina, Mr. John Haywood. The home has the largest room in any building other than the Capital building and is quite the place tobe invited to visit. Mr. Haywood’s second wife, Eliza Eagles Asaph Williams Haywood, is 26 years younger than Mr. Haywood, but she has many social skills, including being an outstanding cook and hostess. You are lucky to be included on the guest list to be entertained at Haywood Hall!

Does it sound fun and special? Well, it was. What is the complete history behind this delightful home? Well, Mr. Haywood, aged forty-three, married Eliza when she was seventeen. She was from the coastal area, Wilmington, North Carolina, and was not impressed with Raleigh or the  lodgings Mr. Haywood had when she arrived in Raleigh, the new capital of North Carolina in 1787. The city was created because it was the middle point of the state land area, so it had not emerged as a town as a result of popularity. 

Eliza Haywood returned home to Wilmington until her husband could build her an appropriate home for her position as the State Treasurer’s wife. Additionally, John Haywood was a member of the Council of North Carolina, named “Intendant of Police,” in other words, the Mayor of Raleigh, and a major figure in the community.

John Haywood quickly engaged builders to construct their classical house in the style of the Federal Period, but Eliza arrived before it was totally completed. They managed until the home was finished, and Haywood Hall became a focal point. 

The home was built on a site that was only a short walk from the Capitol building. The exterior of the home has undergone little alterations since it was originally built. The interior originally had two great rooms flanking a spacious hall and could easily receive the entire legislative body. The home became an unofficial meeting place for legislators and dignitaries visiting Raleigh. One illustrious guest was General Lafayette in 1825.Both John and Eliza were gracious hosts to all at Haywood Hall. Some of the architecture reflects the attitude of hospitality that the Haywoods provided. They had a carved pomegranate, or apple, and pineapple placed above the second floor landing as symbols of hospitality.

Eliza Haywood had twelve children with John, but she had time to entertain, maintain the home, and establish an exquisite garden that adds to the charm of this historic home. The garden is smaller in scale now, but many of the special flowers and plants which Eliza brought from the coastal region are still flourishing. One unusual tree is the hicknut tree, a cross between a hickory and a pecan tree with smaller, sweeter meat, Eliza was especially fond of roses, hydrangeas and bulbs of many varieties.

Eliza created her garden as a practical one, as well as one of beauty. A large herb garden was maintained and a kitchen garden was created to provide Mrs. Haywood with materials for her well-known elegant meals. She entertained a great deal for her husband, and in one letter to her mother wrote that “Mr. Haywood has gone out to dinner. I can undress and go to bed.”

The home is the only house within the city limits, built before 1800, which still remains on its original foundation. Mary Haywood Fowle Stearns bequeathed the residence to The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of North Carolina (hereafter called The Colonial Dames).The Colonial Dames were to maintain the home, according to Mrs. Stearns’ will, for the “enjoyment of the community” and to promote a greater understanding of North Carolina history, Raleigh history, and the significance of the Haywood Home. The home has eleven family portraits in the house, beginning with John Haywood, which helps one place faces with the many family names.

After Eliza’s death in 1837, daughters Betsey John and Frances Ann continued a boarding school in the home (from the 1830s to the 1880s). The bedrooms are large and spacious, reflecting the gracious style of the home. A third floor was the bedroom area for the Haywood children.

Dr. E. Burke Haywood, a physician during the War Between the States who lived in the home with his wife Lucy Ann, was a dedicated physician, treating anyone who needed medical care. He had a “pager system” installed which consisted of a horn at the front door into which a person could call upstairs to his bedroom if medical care were needed. During the war, he treated both Southern and Northern soldiers, and if need be, paid the cost of getting the soldier home after he was healed enough to travel.

Lucy Ann Williams Haywood, in the late 1800s, had a gazebo rebuilt where Eliza originally had enjoyed one. Mrs. Lucy also had the family graveyard moved to Oakwood Cemetery in the 1890s.

In later years, indoor bathrooms were added as well as a kitchen, using parts of the original side porches of the home. One of the two large receiving rooms was also divided into a music room and a separate dining room in the 1890s by Lucy and sons Ernest and Edgar.

Haywood Hall was elaborate by the local standards of the time with much molding, spacious rooms, and faux painting, as well as colorful green walls. The mantel and surround in the main parlor is the most striking example of the restoration performed by The Colonial Dames. They have had the fireplace mantel and surround painted to look like green marble. and the wood work with double-turned Greek keys and flame and candles motifs refurbished. The society continues to work to restore and maintain this wonderful historic gem, filling the home with historic items of the different periods since Haywood Hall’s construction. Mrs. Margie Haywood (Mrs. Marshall Haywood) is a major force in ensuring that Haywood Hall continues to occupy its place in the history of North Carolina. She works unceasingly to restore and maintain the beautiful home place.

Several gifts of musical interest have been made in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Haywood’s son; a piano forte was restored in his memory. Another gift is a flute that dates to the 1820s. Many of the original pieces of furniture can be seen at the Hall, including “Beloved,” a bachelor's chest that was John and Eliza’s, corner shelves for knick-knacks, and other fine pieces from different periods of the house’s existence. Art pieces that reflect the time periods provide realistic décor. Plantation beds and cannonball beds are some of the pieces in the upstairs rooms. An excellent collection of dolls from over the time periods graces the baby’s area next to the master bedroom.

Available now for tours by appointment and on a fee basis for meetings, luncheons, weddings, and/or receptions, as well as other social events, Haywood Hall is open on different times of the year and on special weekends. Visitors can experience what Christmas or other holidays must have been like in the nineteenth or twentieth centuries. 
 
Sources: Haywood, Mrs. Marshall (Margie), and Ms. A.J. DeMontgris. 
Personal Interviews.  20 February 2003
All pictures by Cecilia Damiani, Elaine Jenkins and Glenda Poythress, 
courtesy of Haywood Hall, 2003, unless otherwise noted.


Sign situated outside of 
Haywood Hall 
on New Bern Ave.

Xylophone used as
a dinner bell.

Confederate money

Pineapple, a symbol of 
hospitality, placed in doorway.

Haywood family crest

Haywood family seal

Miniature play tea set.